Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Clinton volunteer disrupts GOP debate

By Harrison Jones

During the Mock Republican National Convention last Thursday, the president of WIU’s College Democrats caused a minor ruckus when he thought he was authorized to be speak.

Scott Smith, who’s also working with the Hillary Clinton campaign, says he asked to take part.

“I had permission from a grad student and a faculty member,” Smith says. “And I wasn’t pushing for a ‘Democratic’ agenda. I was speaking for myself, and it was a pretty moderate position.”

Associate professor of political science Keith Boeckelman, who chaired the platform debates, found himself in the middle of disruption at the microphone.

After much debate on other planks on the Republican platform, plank 12 -- a plank regarding the legalization of marijuana -- became a subject of much debate.

A motion was made to move the Republican stance from “oppose” to “don’t care.”
Numerous delegates spoke on the motion. Toward the end of the debate on plank 12, Smith made his way to the microphone to oppose liberalizing the stance.

“I actually have a moderate Republican position,” Smith said. “I think to be a great country, you have to be good.”

But before Smith had a chance to speak, Boeckelman questioned him about what delegation he was from. With his badge tucked away inside his sweatshirt, he ignored the question and continued to try to speak on the issue.

Boeckelman interjected, saying, “The speaker is not recognized!”

Smith tried to continue, but finally stepped away, still talking as he walked away: “What I was trying to say is….”

However, Boeckelman interrupted him.

“You are not recognized,” the chair said. “Please return to your seat.”

Smith did so.

Shortly afterward, the motion to move the Republican stance on plank 12 to “don’t care” was defeated. Challenges were made on the decision of the chair to rule against the motion. The chair brought about a second vote, and the motion failed again.

1 comment:

Scott Smith said...

Hi, this is Mr. Smith. Let me quickly correct a few aspects of this story seeing that I am the subject of it. Let me start by pointing out a couple embellishments. The “minor ruckus” consisted of about ten to fifteen seconds of me being denied the ability to speak. Not exactly the commotion that the term “ruckus” might evoke in the readers’ minds. Then to describe Dr. Boeckelman as “in the middle of disruption” is a bit of a dramatization too. Acting as chair, he was in control at all times.

So here is the story that you should know. Two of my democratic friends and I enjoyed our party’s platform formation so much we wanted to view our counterparts’ event too just for the sheer enjoyment of it, call me a nerd if you want. Yada, yada, we were given permission to act as republican delegates as long as we acted like ‘republican delegates’.

Then came plank 12. After it was proposed that the committee’s decision of being strongly opposed to the legalization of marijuana be moved to don’t care, I waited to hear a good republican opposition. Some libertarian voices were heard, at least one defeatist voice was heard, and a couple weak voices of opposition to the movement were made. After a member of the College Republicans reminded the floor of delegates to act as republicans, I decided to do just that.

“America is great only because it is good, that is why I oppose this movement,” is what I wanted to say, seeing this to be a true American view that the crowd needed to be reminded of. Why would I remind the people of what a good republican would say? Because we Democrats know this, the Republicans know this, but some libertarians were trying to substitute their philosophy.

However, to keep things simple and in order Dr. Boeckelman decided to not let a recognized College Democrat speak. I explained that I was only acting as a republican from Louisiana, still I was not recognized to speak (I NEVER ignored the question of if I was a delegate). Walking away I heard the crowd reacting and, in an admittedly uncouth fashion, I tried to make a statement. As noted, I was denied the opportunity.

That’s the story.