Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Encounters with Uncle Sam


By Dr. Lisa Barr

When I asked Uncle Sam to end the war in Iraq, he said, “Sure thing” and tried walking away from me during the first night of the Mock Presidential campaign. But despite a crowd of about 500 Democratic delegates and campaign workers, I persisted.

“I mean now! Like, tomorrow!”

“I’m doing my best,” he replied.

Later, in the hallway, sociology professor Ken Mietus worried whether he was too biased.

Briefly.

Roped into service by “my friend Rick Hardy,” Mietus tried complaining about having told Hardy last spring that if there was anything he could do to help with the event to “name it!” Hardy did. The uniform looks uncomfortably polyester -- but it fits. The beard looked real but I felt it would have been rude to ask.

But I’ve personally long since lost any reticence about objecting to this unholy war. Saturday mornings spent in Chandler Park holding anti-war signs have conditioned me. And so I persisted even when it made Uncle Sam uncomfortable.

On the "convention floor," he says, he tried keeping Uncle Sam right down the middle, politically. But in the hallway, as a sociology professor, as a U.S. citizen -- that’s different.

“Uncle Sam,” he says, has an “image to uphold abroad and at home and I’m concerned my image has been somewhat sullied by the Iraq War.”

You tell ‘em, Sammy! Let ‘em complain all they want.

Dr. Lisa Barr teaches introductory reporting at WIU. All 32 of her students are covering the Mock Election. None of them could get Meitus to "break character’"the way he did with her. She achieved this by telling him she’d never cried so much during any other administration. She’s nearly 50. [Photo by A.J. Self]

No comments: